Every year since 1982 a list of 400 names is published in America. It’s a scoreboard for businesspeople, an honor-roll for entrepreneurs, a ranking on the scales of success. The Forbes 400 list grades America’s wealthiest 400 people by their net worth.
7 Categories of Net Worth
Forbes measures net worth based on wealth, but God measures it differently. True net worth is best evaluated by seven categories that we find in Revelation 5:11-12:
Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying:
“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
1. Power Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth. Jesus Christ is the Lord God Almighty. He created all things, sustains all things, and holds all things in his hand. He is the King of kings and Lord of lords. No one can overpower him. None can conquer him. No one can stand against him and win. No weapon fashioned against him will succeed. He powerfully rules over all and will reign forever and ever. Every knee will bow before him and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. If we were to measure Jesus’ net worth, we’d find that his portfolio is stacked with power.
2. Wealth Jesus owns everything. The earth and all it contains belongs to him. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills and he owns the hills. Every square inch on planet earth is his. All the animals are his and everything that has breath is his. You and me, we’re not our own. We belong to him. The silver is his and the gold is his. Every dollar, pound, peso, euro, yen, rupee belong to him and every other coin, bill, card, check, and currency. He is in possession of all wealth forever. He never loses a deal, is never forced to sell, and never dies to leave it behind. Jesus controls all wealth and owns all true and lasting riches. Oh the depth of the riches of God.
3. Wisdom Jesus holds all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. He is the leading expert in all subjects and his understanding is inscrutable. Nothing confounds him. He knows the best way to solve every problem. He knows the right time for every opportunity. He comprehends every mystery. His wisdom is never old-fashioned advice, but always timeless truth. Jesus is the only wise God and he is worthy to be praised and celebrated for his all-surpassing wisdom.
4. Strength Jesus is clothed with strength. He is a conquering warrior with no weaknesses or vulnerabilities. His name is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and are safe. He subdues Satan and all demons with ease. His voice stops the pounding waves. He calls forth the stars and not one is missing. He sends forth lightning and it obeys him. He gives the horse it’s might and hunts prey for the lions. He does not faint or grow weary. He never slumbers or sleeps. He can do all things and no purpose of his can be thwarted. Jesus is unrivaled in strength.
5. Honor Jesus is crowned with honor. His name is above every name, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, above every name that is named not only in this age but also in the one to come. Jesus has incomparable character. He is full of grace and truth. He’s merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands and forgiving iniquity, transgression and sin. Jesus is the judge of the whole world and the savior of all who call on him. He died for us while we were yet sinners and rose from the dead to give us new life. Jesus is supremely worthy of honor.
6. Glory Jesus shines with great glory. His brightness and radiance are unmatched. His light is outshines the sun. Like a champion, he deserves to be paraded through the streets of every city, town, and village. His worth and value are beyond comprehension. He is beautiful, excellent, and weighty. There is no one and nothing worth more. Jesus is glorious and the whole earth is full of his glory.
7. Praise Jesus is ceaselessly praised by men and angels. “Holy, holy, holy” they cry. “Worthy, worthy, worthy” they say. He is praised for being our creator. He is praised for being our savior. From generation to generation, the name of the Lord is praised. Men and women pour forth the fame of his abundant goodness and sing aloud of his righteousness. They speak of the glory of his kingdom and tell of his power. They rejoice in their salvation and speak honor of their king. Jesus is praised for his justice and exalted for his mercy. He is praised for what he does and he is praised for who he is. Jesus is worthy of praise.
In 34 years there’s one name that has never made Forbes' list. If Jesus' name was considered for the Forbes 400 list, there would be no one else on the list. He is in a category all his own.
When we soon see Jesus face to face we won’t measure and compare ourselves with one another. On that day we will feel his matchless worth and join the saints and angels in heaven, saying: “Jesus, you are worthy of power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise.”